Billing Tens Units- Do I Need A License?

Many doctors have asked me if they need a special license to bill DME units like a TENS unit. The short answer is– YES, you do need a license. Most insurance companies are starting to catch on to this special license and they are denying DME (Durable Medical Equipment) CPT codes. Check your Explanation of Benefits from the different carriers. You will notice that you are not getting reimbursed by many insurance companies.

The law on needing the DME license is right here. The purpose of this law is to enforce basic standards that will ensure quality home medical equipment, products, and services. If you want to know what the FDA Food Drug and Cosmetic Act classifies a DME as click here.

There are fees associated with getting the license. The licensing fee is about $300 but the amount of paperwork necessary to get the license might not be worth it for some people. Click here for the forms.

And if you don’t want to get the DME license just note that there is a maximum administrative penalty of up to $5,000 per TENS unit sold. That info is here. It’s also a second degree misdemeanor for the first violation and a first degree misdemeanor for second and subsequent violations (scroll to bottom of this link).

For those of you who don’t like what you are hearing take a look at some other sources:
Screenshot of the FCA website


Schedule a Free Consultation

    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side